Bug or Feature?

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 10:09:59 EST 2003

Stephan Diehl <stephan.diehl at gmx.net> wrote in
news:bpt5do$nls$04$1 at news.t-online.com:

> Although, the question was more along the line, if (in the light of
> the principle of least surprise) this behaviour makes sense.
> My private opinion would be, that the usefullness of builtin types as
> real types would be much better, if they were safe under inheritance.

There are some tradeoffs here.

I think that the majority of users would say that the speed of operations
using 'int' is more important than the ease of inheriting from them. If you
can make the 'int' operations work this way, but keep them at least as fast
as they are today, then there may be a case for changing the behaviour.

The other problem though is that this would break backwards compatibility.
For example if any code were to currently add booleans, it would suddenly
get a boolean result. The (untested) code below, currently counts how many
items in a list are greater than a specified value, but under your scheme
it would return a boolean.

    def HowManyGreaterThan(aList, aValue):
        return reduce(operator.add, [ x > aValue for x in aList ])

I think what would be most useful would be new subclasses of int etc. which
have the properties you desire, but you can write them yourself easily
enough.

What rules, BTW, are you proposing for operations between two separate
subclasses of int? e.g. given your mod7 class, and a corresponding mod9
class should this print 3, 6, 24 or throw an exception?

    x = mod7(3)
    y = mod9(8)
    print x*y

and does this do the same?