Request for simple a customisable Python editor

Steve Lee stephenlee at exe-coll.ac.uk
Mon Nov 10 04:43:10 EST 2003

> It would be very nice if you could make a Unix file that actually wrote
> to and read from a python script. The script would open a connection to
> the database and read/write as required.  Then any editor could be
> used, even FTP and it would be totally transparent to the application.

An execellent idea! Do it at the OS level and then any editor/tool
would work.
I will deploy on win32 s oI'm no sure how well Juha's idea of pipes
works. I know NT/XP support pipes to some extent.

One wrinkle would be the need to provide UI to select the DB field
required. That would need to be run as part of setting up the
'file'/pipe and so would be an extra step to just 'opening' the
'file'. Perhaps *all* could automatically be made available but you
would still want search mechanisms.

hmm....

Steve