a python book hint

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Nov 13 13:55:09 EST 2003

In article <IoPsb.16777$9_.600861 at news1.tin.it>,
Alex Martelli  <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
			.
>True -- silly me; David Mertz's "Text Processing in Python" is indeed
>current (and also readable online).  I don't think of it as suitable
>for beginners, but it IS actually possible to teach yourself Python
>from David's Appendix A, at least in theory (it _is_ a bit "short and
>impressionistic" for that, as its title suggests, but still...).
>

>Alex

I've been writing and rewriting a review of *TPIP* since (before?) its
publication (to David's frustration--it'd be better for him if I just
published *something* about it, rather than reworking so much).  *I*
don't think it's for beginners, and in fact I think it's going to lose
a lot of the current crop of professionals.  I like the book, but I
think it's too demanding for many of the people who might consider it.

I've been surprised, though, how much enthusiasm it's inspired already
in readers I've encountered.

My conclusion:  I solicit others' views and experience.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net