PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Rob Gowin robg at gowin.net
Tue Nov 18 11:46:53 EST 2003

Vamsi Mudrageda <gte181u at prism.gatech.edu> wrote in message news:<bo3jon$gmn$1 at news-int2.gatech.edu>...
> I am kind of new to Python, and after trying and using wxPython, I found
> it kind of lacking in easy-to-read documentation, speed at loading, and
> GUI response-time.
>
> So I am looking for an another GUI toolkit that is cross-platform for
> Python, and am leaning toward PyQt (PyGTK is kind of dull looking in
> comparison).  Unfortunately, although TrollTech says Qt is
> cross-platform, its license strategy has me a bit confused.  So here is
> to hoping someone can help...
>
> Objective:
>    Develop/Write a program for personal use on my Linux using PyQt.  Be
> able to also run it on Windows.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Is it legally possible to do that?
> 2) Do I need to buy a license from TrollTech?
> 3) Can I create a .exe file for my windows on my Linux and copy it over?
>   (I would like to develop the program entirely on Linux, but make
> executables for other platforms).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you guys have another GUI
> toolkit for python, then please by all means...
>
> Thx.

Vamsi,

It looks like a less expensive way to develop non commercial Qt 3
programs for Windows may be coming soon.

The "official" Qt3 book is due in February of 2004, and the
included CD will include a non-commerical version of Qt 3.2.1
for Windows (and GPL versions for Linux and Mac). The
book will be $50. Here is a link to the announcement in
the qt-interest mailing list:
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2003-10/thread01344-0.html

>From other discussion on the mailing list, it appears that
you will be able to distribute the Qt runtime DLLs with
your non commerical application if you buy the book.
Here's the mailing list thread for that (see message 13
in particular):
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2003-11/thread00225-0.html

Of course, I have no idea what the relationship between this
non-commercial version of Qt and PyQt will be.

Rob

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Trolltech (except as a
commerical licensee of the Linux and Mac versions) or the
authors or publishers of the book.