How do you pass a standard operator such as '<' as a parameter?

Peter Milliken peterm at resmed.com.au
Thu Nov 20 16:22:15 EST 2003

Wrote too soon - the obvious answer is not to use a "comparison" function at
all when instantiating the class but rather to just code the "<" in the
class "add" procedure and then make sure the data type that is being used
contains a __lt__ operator :-) i.e. the class definition should just be:

        class OrderedList (list):
          def add (self, element):
            """Add the element into the list in the correct ordered sequence
for
            the data type.
            """
            # Locate the position in the list and perform the insertion
            for i in list(self):
              if element < i:
                list.insert(self, list.index(self, i), element)
                break
            else:
              # element is greater than any current value in the list, so
stick
              # it at the end.
              list.append(self, element)

This will work for integers as well as user defined data types that have a
__lt__ function defined.

news:z7avb.541$WD1.13194 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...