Experienced programmer evaluating Python

Michael L. Labbe usenet at frogtoss.com
Sun Nov 2 20:50:53 EST 2003

Hello.  I'm an experienced programmer who is evaluating learning Python if
it is applicable to a few projects.  The programs I am going to list are
production software - they are not throwaway toy projects, but will
actually have real world application.  I've spent years writing C++ and
Perl code, but I would like to try "this Python language" out in their
implementation, as I have the luxury of slack deadlines for the next
little while.

That said, I was hoping Python gurus could quickly tell me if these
projects would be a good fit, or if there are any pitfalls I should look
for.

1] Embedding Python into a realtime game.  I'm willing to take a
performance hit over strict c++ in the range of 10%, if the implementation
can be elegant.  I've embedded Perl into a cross platform application
(win32 & Linux) and I found it to be a nasty undertaking.  Perl.h had
namespace conflicts with libraries, and I had crashes within the
statically linked Perl library that essentially made traces impossible. I
could go on, but it was basically an inelegant solution.

I understand I haven't given enough details to let people know if 10% is
in order, but a general opinion about scalability and bytecode execution
working in a non-threaded realtime environment in parallel with c++ code
would be appreciated.

2] IRC bot.  I understand there are third party libraries available, but
they all claim to be alpha.  Can anyone recommend a solid one?

I think I miss CPAN.  Is this normal?

3] Redistributable end-user product development tools.  I know and love
using wxWindows in C++.  Basically, I need the ability to distribute
everything necessary for developers on the Internet (read: not average
users) to run wxWindows based Python apps on Win32 development
workstations.  Licenses and convenience come into play.  I don't mind a
large download for this crowd, but asking them to compile anything is
above and beyond.

Finally, is there any issues with me not distributing Python source if I
include a compiled DLL with commercial software?  If I embed Python for
Win32, I have read that I need to dynamically link it.  If I do so with no
modifications, am I free to not offer source code for download?  (Yes, I
am addressing all you IANALs out there...)

Thanks for the advice.  I will check back as I continue to research this
intriguing language.