socket object, connection refused ...

Maxim Olivier-Adlhoch maximo at meteorstudios.com
Mon Nov 17 14:34:51 EST 2003

hello ,

this is my first post on this list.  I've been told its very helpfull, I hope someone can help me with my problem.

I've been building a specialized client server application using the socket object.

I am on a variety of windows (NT 2000 XP).

I've been coding the engine, using local host on server and client for 2 months ALL is going ok.  never had any tcp/ip problems.

now I decide to share the server and start doing actual network tests and the server always refuses to have a client connect.

I have snooped the network traffic and it does reach the remote machine.  Only, the server always send a RST (reset) message back and this causes my client script to display a connection refused message.

so I decided to test using the machine locally in different ways:

using 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' always works, using my actual machine's ip or its hostname does not!!

I've tried all kinds of different server port (above and below 1024, 10000, 50000) but I have the same problem each time.

-MAx
---
"You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun."