a python book hint

Aubrey Hutchison abhjrpe at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 17:42:40 EST 2003

"Eduardo Patto Kanegae" <eduardo at consultoria.eti.br> wrote in message news:mailman.667.1068654362.702.python-list at python.org...
> Hello,
>
>  I have been programming with Visual Basic and PHP in the last 5 years and some folks had recommended Python a free language....
>
>  I had looked for a Python book to start up but found many titles...
>
>  so, my question finally is: what book could be for a Python beginner - but NOT a programming beginner - which intends to develop *windowed* Python programms and intends to develop for Windows and for Linux?
>
> for example, look at Thuban software ( http://thuban.intevation.org/ ) which runs on Linux and Win plataforms.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Eduardo Patto Kanegae
> http://www.consultoria.eti.br - BRASIL
> Fórum ptMapServer - http://www.consultoria.eti.br/mapserverptforum/
> ClickBrasil - http://www.consultoria.eti.br/clickbrasil/
> ***************************************
> ***Fim da Mensagem / End of Message ***
> ***************************************

I am sorry to say -- I have the same basic problem...

It appears that if you want to read about
   1)--perl
   2)--"C"
   3)--jokes in a techinical book
   4)-- British TV
   5)-- Family history stuff
   6)-- and so on.....
then purchase any of the sorted books on Python.

But if you want a book like, for example the manuals of the old Microsoft Quickbasic which sticks to the core subject, that presents Python such as;
  "This is Python"
the book is hidden in the market place or has not been written yet.
I have search and amoung all I have collected, you still need to use more than one to fully understand or use Python.

Aubrey Hutchison