SMTP Authentication

Gerhard Häring gh at
Wed Nov 5 03:29:36 CET 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:41:37PM +0100, Achim Domma wrote:
>>I try to authenticate via script to my mail server. I found some hints via
>>google, that SMTP authentication is a problem, but no solution. Using
>>set_debuglevel(1), I can see something like that:
>>[snip transcript]
>>Can somebody give me a hint on how to encode the pwd? Or another way to send
>>mail, if the server requires authentication?
> [...]

Aha. Twisted is the solution for everything, right? </sarcasm>

SMTP.login() should work perfectly ok. I'd need a transcript *and* the
real username and password to debug this, though. But chances are that
the problem is at the SMPT *server* end, not the client end.

You could try to force the PLAIN login method instead of the CRAM-MD5
authentification method, by doing something like:

import smtplib
s = smtplib.SMTP("")
s.esmtp_features["auth"] = "LOGIN PLAIN"
s.debuglevel = 5
s.login("myusername", "mypassword")

Let me know if this helps.

-- Gerhard