bash Vs python ??

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Tue Nov 4 06:35:33 EST 2003

Omar Khalid wrote:

> hello experts,
> i have been assigned a project in which i have to do a lot of
> command line processing by writing "automated testing scripts "
> for a software on unix platform .
>
> what would be a better option in this scenario bash (unix shell
> scripting ) or python ?
> plz give me advantages & disadvantages of both . any web links ?

probably a mixture of both is appropriate.
bash is tuned for calling system commands
directly and piping the output from these
together in various ways. But it can be
woefully inefficient and awkward for certain
things, like string manipulation or looping
for e.g. You may be better doing something like:

bash_script | python_processing

Pádraig.