PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Jim Bublitz jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com
Thu Nov 20 13:00:40 EST 2003

email9898989 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Jarek Zgoda <jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl> wrote in message
> news:<bpgm0l$qi0$1 at atlantis.news.tpi.pl>...
>> Don't spread FUD. You don't have to pay for Qt if you
>> distribute it under GNU Public License. Even commercially. You
>> can earn money for your software and you have nothing to pay
>> to Trolltech if this is GPL-ed software. They can say
>> anything, but it's GPL, they just can not impose such
>> restriction.

> That is incorrect.  You DO have to play them if you want your
> app to run _on any platform_ (i.e., Linux AND Windows),
> regardless if it is GPL licensed, free, commercial, or
> whatever.

*Somebody* has to pay for Qt libs/PyQt to be used on Windows -
not necessarily the author/distributor, if the end-user already
has a license.

The point Jarek and I are making is that since the Linux versions
of both Qt and PyQt are GPL'd, *nobody* has to buy a Qt or PyQt
license to run on Linux (or OSX, or other *nix as far as I
know). Also, there's nothing stopping you from charging for your
software in that case, or for Qt or PyQt, but you do have to
provide source code at no charge. As far as commercial use, you
only have to make source code available *if you distribute* the
software - that wouldn't apply to strictly internal use.

As long as "cross-platform" doesn't include Windows, you can
write cross-platform code with Qt and PyQt and no one has to buy
a license. A Windows version would require licenses for Qt and
PyQt.

Jim