True inconsistency in Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Nov 13 10:38:26 EST 2003

Scott Chapman wrote:
> It seems that maybe Python should throw a warning (perhaps if a flag is
> set) any time it bumps into code comparing a variable to True or False.

It's a bit hard to do it just for variables, but doing it for _any_
comparison would _almost_ be reasonable -- testing if something
"== True" is hardly ever sensible.  Unfortunately "a == b" CAN
be perfectly sensible and either or both of the variables MIGHT
just happen to be set to True.

However, this looks to me like a good suggestion for PyChecker
and the like, which should be able to catch and flag the actual
explicit use or the constant True in code involving == or != ...

Alex