PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Wed Nov 19 09:48:40 EST 2003

[Jason]
> gpl the software and then he can develop cross platform for free. :-)

That's only true for non-Windows platforms or the old 2.3 Non-Commercial
edition of Qt.  There is no GPL version of Qt for Windows, and Trolltech
no longer distributes Qt 2.3 Non-Commercial (I guess if you can get your
hands on a copy then you can still legally use it).

John Lee's post of 2nd Nov 2003 summed the situation up perfectly (though
we should add "and you can get your hands on a copy of the
no-longer-available Qt 2.3 Non-Commercial" in the appropriate place) -

> if (you're only using unix/linux) OR (you're happy to stick to Qt
> 2.x AND you're non-commercial), you don't need a license.  They were
> talking about using Qt 3 on Windows: in that case, you do need a
> license from both TT and Phil (ie. you need to buy BlackAdder, unless
> you want to spend large quantities of cash for no reason).

This is why a Non-Commercial edition of 3.2.1 for Windows is good news,
and why we're interested to know whether PyQt Non-Commercial will support
it.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com