Books I'd like to see

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Nov 15 09:54:33 EST 2003

In article <mailman.714.1068736975.702.python-list at python.org>,
Scott Chapman  <scott_list at mischko.com> wrote:

>I'd like to see a good introduction to Python for brand new programmers
>that starts with Python's object orientation (at least as the
>assumption, if not explicitly dealing with objects at the beginning).
>
>I've looked over every book on the market and the Net that is
>introductory to Python and none of them emphasize Python's uniqueness
>and power.  It is not possible to rightly understand Python without
>understanding that virtually everything except the keywords are
>objects. This is the year 2003 and books are still introducing
>Structured Programming paradigms and then re-teaching by introducing
>Object Oriented later.  This is Wrong!  :-)

Hmmmm....  Could you give a bit of detail about what kind of approach
would work?  Without adding mental clutter to the explanations?  I was
thinking about this a bit, and I find it difficult to explain even what
an object *is* without some prior background in computers and
programming.  There's also the issue that Python methods are functions,
so it's necessary to cover functions and modules before classes.