py2exe question

Thomas Heller theller at
Sat Nov 1 20:56:06 CET 2003

achrist at writes:

> The error I'm getting is in module imputil.pyo, line 601, in
> import_file, module does not define init function initpywintypes23.
> Please, can anyone tell what this means and how to fix?

I think it has to do with the way win32all finds and loads the
PyWinTypes extension.  Back in the past it was found via registry
entries, nowadays Mark Hammond changed it to be done without the

py2exe up to version 0.4.2 has not be adapted to this change, but the
0.5.0 alpha version (available in the files section of is able to handle this.

It requires Python 2.3 (because it uses the new zipimport feature), and
a fairly new win32all.