AI and cognitive psychology rant (getting more and more OT - tell me if I should shut up)

Andrew Dalke adalke at
Mon Nov 3 03:01:22 CET 2003

Michele Simionato
> Actually it is much *smaller* than that: this is the reason why it is
> not significant at all from a physical perspective.  ... The number
> I find in my Ph. D. thesis ... is 10^227 GeV (!) BTW, it seems
> too large now, I don't remember how I got it, but anyway I am sure the
> number is much much larger than Plank scale (10^19 GeV).

1E227....  That's... ummm, a lot.

(((10 ** 227) GeV) / (c * c)) / mass of the sun = 8.96296347 × 10E169

Roughly 7 * 10E22 stars visible with current telescopes

Estimate for dark matter is about 10* visible matter, as I recall,
which means you're talking about

times the mass of the universe.

                    dalke at