py2exe question

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Sat Nov 1 12:59:35 EST 2003

achrist at easystreet.com wrote
> The error I'm getting is in module imputil.pyo, line 601, in
> import_file, module does not define init function initpywintypes23.
>
> Please, can anyone tell what this means and how to fix?

Perhaps you have a version mismatch problem. Thomas posted in the
ActiveState announcement thread earlier that win32all build 161 or later
will be required for the upcoming Python 2.3 specific version of py2exe:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=znfgtiif.fsf%40python.net

A few weeks ago he posted a link to a preview release of that. You
wouldn't by chance be using this version would you?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=n0ck67fb.fsf%40python.net

If that's not the problem, it might help someone spot the problem if you
post the version of Python, py2exe, and win32all that you are running in
addition to the exact/entire traceback/exception that you are getting.

In case you aren't aware of it, you can copy parts of a console window
to the clipboard to make posting the traceback easy. On the console
window's system menu (the one you get by clicking in the top left) find
Edit and then Mark, then use the mouse to highlight a rectangle and then
select Edit and Copy from that same menu.

You can also try whittling your program down to the smallest possible
version that has the same problem. This will help identify where the
problem is coming in, and it might be small enough to post the code
which will make it easier for others to spot.

Jimmy