string similarity in python

vincent wehren vincent at
Mon Nov 24 21:06:34 CET 2003

"Achim Domma" <domma at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:bpsn1q$sm3$00$1 at
| Hi,
| I have a list of lets say 100-1000 strings and want to know which one is
| most similar to a reference string. Does somebody know such a library for
| Python? I don't need complicated scientific stuff, I think the most simple
| ones will do it for my data.
| regards,
| Achim

It lets you calculate Levenshtein distance as well as a ratio of similarity
based on it, allowing you to "tweak" your results. You can use the source
both as C app or as C/Python extension module.

Getting it to do what you probably won't take you more than a few minutes...

Vincent Wehren