PyQt and DCOP Documentation

Jim Bublitz jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com
Mon Nov 10 02:16:29 EST 2003

Eric Williams wrote:

> Jim Bublitz wrote:

> Thanks a lot, Jim, that's exactly what I needed.

It's actually kind of ugly - it'll get better. You can't get any
return values from "ca;;" at the moment.

> Done.  I'll really have to brush up on my c++, though; now that
> I'm getting a clearer picture of the api's I'm starting to
> grasp it a little better.

The most recent release has (in my opinion - we'll see what
others think) greatly improved docs. This has been a frequent
complaint, and one that's hard to fix. The new docs do at least
list all of the methods in a Python format and they can be
linked to the KDE docs for text explanations.

> I can't believe you're the only person working on this stuff;
> with the amount of good work that's already gone into it,
> together with how useful an application it really is, I'd
> figured there was a whole gaggle of people on it.

I do PyKDE, Phil Thompson does sip and PyQt and did the original
PyKDE. Some of the newer stuff (plugins) has been done mostly by
other people, and I get a lot of good bug reports, patches, help
with build details, etc. Plus lots of automation.

> I just subscribed to the list.  For the size and nature of the
> KDE project, the docs aren't bad at all.  My statement above
> was simply that I'm in way over my head for the most part,
> mainly due to my general inability to program :-(

On the one hand better docs are a hard problem, on the other
hand, one of the main goals of this project is to make KDE
programming easy for anybody. You're not a newbie if you mostly
figured out dcop (and the parts you got hung up on ARE poorly
documented), but don't hesitate to post ANY questions on the
PyKDE list. People there are generally helpful (just as they are
here). You can look back in the archives for some of the dumb
questions I've asked there.

Check the developer section of kde.org for tutorial stuff too.
Also, the Qt docs are excellent (but still C++).

> Thank you for taking the time to explain it. Thanks to your
> work and the overall KDE-coolness I'm well on the way to
> turning lirc into a useful application :-)

My pleasure - I'm sincere about appreciating your posts too.
Hopefully the next release will be better suited to what you
want to do. I've always wondered if this stuff worked or not,
but never found a reason to look into more.

Personally I think this is really cool too, which is why I picked
up the project when Phil ran out of time to maintain it.

Jim