recommendations for python web programming tools

Graham Fawcett graham__fawcett at
Wed Nov 19 02:28:20 CET 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at> wrote in message news:<mailman.840.1069176413.702.python-list at>...
> Dennis> Matthew Wilson fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 18
>     Dennis> November 2003 07:53 am:
>     >> I am about to start designing a web application for my office
>     >> intranet. It is pretty simple: we need a way to track conversations
>     >> with contacts and a way to update contact information.
>     Dennis> I'm not an expert, but have you looked at Zope?
> I am not an expert, but Zope is often overkill, especially if your
> requirements don't match Zope's assumptions.
> I recently discovered Quixote from MEMS Exchange (well, I've known about it
> for awhile, but only recently began experimenting with it) and have become
> quite enamored with it.  It looks like if your environment meets these basic
> criteria:
>     * unix-y platform
>     * your website developers are already Python programmers
>     * you don't need to support remote site editing by potentially hostile
>       folks (like your marketing and engineering departments)

I would second Skip's recommendation of Quixote -- it's an excellent
framework. I just wanted to add that a Unix-like platform isn't a
requirement; Quixote works very well on the Win32 platform.

Best of luck,

-- Graham