Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Tue Nov 11 11:44:12 EST 2003

Fergus Henderson wrote:

> Your article that I was responding to was suggesting that there might
> be some things which could not be done in statically typed languages,
> and in particular that this sort of eval(read()) loop might be one of them.
> As I hope I've demonstrated, it is not.

And you're right in this regard. My statement was too strong. Of course
it is always possible to reimplement a dynamic language on top of a
static one and by this get the full expressive power of a dynamic
language. But I didn't have Turing equivalence in mind when I made that
statement. The real question is how hard it is to reimplement a dynamic
language, and wouldn't it be a better idea to use a dynamic language
when the requirements are of the sort that, when in doubt, flexibility
turns out to be more important than stacity.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza at web.de        Institute of Computer Science III