programming languages (etc) "web popularity" fun

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Nov 1 06:17:00 EST 2003

Dan Schmidt wrote:

> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:
>
> | Plenty of other food for flamewars here -- can mercury AND oz
> | really be THAT much more popular than haskell, erlang, caml -- the
> | latter badly outscored even by OLD miranda --
>
> Objective Caml (the main dialect of caml) really suffers from a naming
> problem.  To find all the references to it, you'll want to search for
> "ocaml" and "o'caml" as well as "caml".

Good point, so, here's an updated search for the FP-ish crowd (each
OR-separated term is looked up in '"%s programming language"'):

# 0               scheme      4830
# 1               prolog      1080
# 2            ml OR sml       645
# 3              haskell       361
# 4               erlang       316
# 5 caml OR o'caml OR ocaml       312
# 6 mercury OR oz OR mozart       234
# 7             unlambda       121
# 8              miranda        79
# 9                clean        65

#10               pliant        63
#11                 FISh        61
#12                rebol        54
#13                   FP        27
#14                  joy        20
#15      scala OR funnel         6
#16             mondrian         6
#17                  HOP         1
#18                lemon         0
#19            Alcool-90         0

with the OR'ed terms, O'CAML is about as popular as Haskell or
Erlang -- of the "pure functional" programming languages (I stuck
in scheme and prolog just to provide some 'scaling'...:-), only
ML / SML (Standard ML) is definitely more web-popular than this group,
while distinctions among them are, I suspect, within "noise" (as
are those in a lower group among Clean, Pliant, FISh and REBOL, say).

Alex