Python 2.3.2 & Netware

Jeff Davey j at submersion.com
Thu Nov 13 17:05:35 EST 2003

Brad Clements wrote:
> Congrats.. LIBC or CLIB?

LibC, it would have been a super PITA to go CLIB, and really, I didn't
really care about supporting NW 4.11 anymore. Novell as well recommends
to start all software development on LibC.

The nice thing about porting it to LibC is a lot of the libraries that
Python needed were already there (ie: pthreads, etc). LibC has a lot
'unixishness' in it.

> Now the real problem is, how will you handle global data in dynamically
> loaded extension modules? Since library NLMs do not have per-process private
> global data space.

Not quite sure, haven't had time to continue on it. Extremely new to
Python itself, so trying to figure out what Python itself needs. (Ie,
it's Lib, compiled modules, etc).

One thing that is interesting is LibC has support for dlopen & friends.

Jeff