Python versus VB

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Mon Nov 3 04:50:24 EST 2003

> >I am meeting with a potential client next week to
> >discuss starting a new project.  His preference is for
> >VB whereas I would prefer Python for obvious reasons ;-)
> >
> >Could anybody come up with a short list of the pros and
> >cons of the two languages (I am not terribly familiar
> >with the strengths/weaknesses of VB).  This will be a
> >general-purpose text-processing type application with no
> >GUI required.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their comments,  I think that should
> give me enough to be going on with.

Just to add one more comment...

I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)

There's one exception: For a program that had to run as a Word or Excel
macro, then sure, I'd consider using VBA. But for a standalone program, no
way!

-Mike