alwayssortedlist (was Re: On PEP 322 (ireverse))

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 03:05:30 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 02:31 am, Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> > I said a heap is "not effective" (as a way to sort, in Python) because
> > the sort method of lists is so much faster.  You CAN use a heap to
> > sort, it's just not an _effective_ way to perform sorting in Python.
>
> I'd argue that Alex. It may not be an "efficient" or "elegant" way to sort
> in Python, but there's not denying that it is "effective" - it does the job

Ah, a British vs American nuance, I suspect.  "effective" (according to
American Heritage) only means "it does the job" -- according to the British
"Chalmers 21th Century Dictionary", it may also have such connotations as
"producing a pleasing effect; impressive, striking".  Guess I _should_ have
said "efficient" instead and avoided the "transatlantic nuances" issue.

Alex