PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 14:03:41 EST 2003

<phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrotf:
> >On Sunday 16 November 2003 8:30 pm, Jim wrote:
> >> On 3 Nov 2003 13:21:56 -0800, codeapocalypse at msn.com (Brian) wrotf:

> >> Could someone please explain this to me. I am still a little confused. I
> >> am just about to buy BlackAdder but want to make sure it will suit my
> >> needs.
> >>
> >> The question I have is this;  if I get the Personal Edition, I know I
> >> can't distribute the run-time elements commercially (sell my programs)
> >> but can I in distribute them in a non-commercial way?
> >
> >No. Personal means personal to you.
> >
> >Phil
>
> Thanks for the info, Phil. Can you help me out a little more? Honestly, I
> have spent the last 3 days searching the Internet for an answer and can't
> seem figure this out.
>
> One person (I think is was someone from theKompany) said that there was no
> functional difference between the Personal Edition and the Business Edition
> but I think you just told me the opposite. If I buy the Personal Edition
> and use it to write my program, I won't have the capability to run that
> software on any other computer besides my own (personal to me) ... not even
> my wife's computer downstairs, i.e., so the runtime elements don't come
> with the Personal Edition - which makes it functionally different?

No, the functionality is the same (but is a subset of "normal" PyQt).

> theKompany web page says the Business Edition is "for commercial use." From
> my understanding, commercial means of or relating to commerce and commerce
> is buying and selling products and I'm not selling anything. This is really
> confusing. I want to honor whatever licence I buy but it doesn't seem
> reasonable that I would have to pay $400 so I can give my own program away
> freely.

The difference between the two versions is the right to re-distribute the BA
version of PyQt (and the embedded Qt) with your application. With the
Personal Edition you have no such right - so your users must have their own
copy.

The Business Edition gives you the right to re-distribute the BA version of
PyQt. Whether or not you make a charge to your users is entirely up to you.
Note that your users do not have the right to further re-distribute.

Phil