Unicode and Zipfile problems

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Sat Nov 8 01:11:35 EST 2003

martin at v.loewis.de wrote:

>> b) it forces you to be correct - even when you don't care.
>
>Yes, but it does so all over the place:
>
>x = 3.14
>
>is different, in Python, from
>
>x = 3,14

Why is it that the number of people that complain in clp about having
trouble spelling fractions is way, way below the number of people that
come here with yet another unicode problem?

>You are apparently talking about Microsoft Windows here.

It is not like if you support something Windowish, you are wandering
off into obscureness.

>particular OS has an API that is different from standard
>C. Fortunately, Microsoft compilers use the underlying API to expose
>OS functionality. So by calling the C library, you call OS routines.

You are right. I stepped into the locale code, and you are right.

Of course, the C api still does not expose the full functionality of
the underlying OS api (like short and long date formats for a locale).

>locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, "")

Thanks, I didn't know that.