Install problem on AIX

Donn Cave donn at
Tue Nov 25 20:37:28 CET 2003

In article <a3645143.0311251109.2ce6174d at>,
 chrishad95 at (Chris Hadley) wrote:

> I am installing Python 2.3.2 on AIX 4.3.3
> I get to the point where I'm ready to "make install" and I get an
> error, with no idea how to get around it.
> Here's the tail end of the output:
> Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/ ...
> Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/ ...
> Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/ ...
> Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/ ...
> Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/ ...
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
> We tracked it down to a script called or something close
> to that which seems to be doing the "Compiling"

Have no idea.

Was that output redirected to disk?  Python's build
software can buffer a lot of output, and on exit due
to error, that output all comes out and kind of obscures
the issue, because it's out of order.  It follows
external output that was not buffered.  I note that just happens to be the last of the .py files,
and it probably didn't have a thing to do with the failure.
More likely you have some C component like curses that
never built and you couldn't see it.

When it's feasible, I try to suppress my normal reflex to
redirect build output, and just paste it into a disk file
afterwards.  Configure with CC=cc, --with-cxx=no.

   Donn Cave, donn at