Use of GPLed Python extension modules

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Thu Nov 27 16:58:28 EST 2003

KefX <keflimarcusx at aol.comNOSPAM> pisze:

>>Stubbornness notwithstanding, thank goodness we have curmudgeons like
>>RMS in the world. He has a philosophical position which he knows to be
>>correct (and he is essentially correct), and he refuses to budge a
>>millimetre from it.
>
> Correct? Perhaps. Currently practical for every case? Hardly.

Philosophy is not about practicality. It is about meaning of life, the
structure of universe and social life. If you get back to Aristotle, you
will find nice explanation of that topic in "Politeia".

If you cann't accept GPL, just don't use free software that is licensed
under GPL. Seems simple and reasonable. If you cann't afford buying BMW,
you drive Hyundai and you don't call Bayerische MotorWerke "crooks that
made BMW unavailable to you".

I write free software and license it under GPL, it doesn't matter if I
made it available free of charge, or I want money for that -- everybody
who receives my software, also receives full rights to this software. He
can read sources, modify it and distribute modified versions. If they
think that GPL will interfere with their business, they are free to
choose other software or hire a programmer, who will write the software
to suit their needs.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1