list: from 2 to 3 dimensions..looking for a nice way

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Sat Nov 29 17:21:41 EST 2003

First, I find it easier to read:

b = [[a.pop(0)]]

than:

b = [[]]
b[0].append(a.pop(0))

Second, anytime you find yourself writing range(len(sequence)), you are
probably doing yourself a disservice. Use something like:

for eachItem in a:
    if(b[-1][0][1]==eachItem[1]):
        b[-1].append(eachItem)
    else:
        b.append([eachItem])

That's "more pythonic" ("Simple is better than complex", etcetera).

But, to me, the "most pythonic" approach would be to ask why you want to
end up with such a structure, instead of, for example:

{'house': [1, 2], 'garden': [3]}

...which comes closer to the Zen ("Flat is better than nested", cf
http://www.awaretek.com/zen.html), and which could be produced with:

b = {}
for eachItem in a:
    index, name = eachItem[0], eachItem[1]
    if name in b:
        b[name].append(index)
    else:
        b[name] = [index]

...although you might want to do a further check when appending to
b[name], to weed out duplicate indices. Depends on the particular
problem.

So why *do* you want a triply-nested list?

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org