New Guy

Dang Griffith noemail at noemail4u.com
Thu Nov 20 08:53:49 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:41:47 GMT, Jim <Whitewater at hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:57:36 GMT, "Georgy Pruss" <see_signature__ at hotmail.com> wrotf:
>
>>OMG! The first rule about the source code - NEVER USE TABS!
>>
>>G-:
>
>Why is that? I'm still relatively new to Python and can't understand why some say spaces are better
>than tabs. If I have my IDE set up so that the tabs are the same thing as 4 spaces, what't the
>difference? I just don't see why I would want to press the space bar 4 times when I can hit the Tab
>key once for the same effect. What am I missing here?
>
>Thanks
The difference is that using tabs requires whoever uses your code to
set their editor to conform to your preference, and you have to change
your editor to look at someone else's code.  If someone else sets
their editor to set tabstops at 2, 3, 8 or whatever "spaces", their
code will look whacky to you.  If everyone uses spaces, there will be
no whackiness in the indentation--even for variable-width fonts.  That
means the only whackiness will be in the code itself, where it
belongs.  :-)
   --dang