[XPOST] [REQ] open source multimedia authoring tools? In python maybe?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Thu Nov 6 15:09:20 EST 2003

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:41:18 +0100, stefanogaburri
<StefanoZAP.THIS at gaburri.net> wrote:

>Kevin Ollivier wrote:
>
>> Seriously, I'm glad that I found another Python programmer with the
>> same area of interest - I think it's an area that badly needs an open
>> source alternative to what is out there. Educators aren't really the
>> types to have bundles of cash to spend on development!
>
>heh, you tell me :)
>
>BTW, I see you're using a free web-server-on-a-CD solution, Karrigell:
>another thing I've been looking for and didn't find, and I'm not the
>only one, since in this same thread people is pointing out proprietary,
>commercial solutions. Glad to know one is available, and with an
>integrated DB to boot (via gadfly).

Yeah, another thing I really like about Karrigell is its ability to
run .py files without treating it like a CGI. This is a big deal on
Windows, because when I freeze the web server, I can't fork()/exec()
CGI scripts unless there is an interpreter on the user's machine, not
to mention command line support on Windows isn't as robust as *nix or
Mac. Karrigell lets me get around this with very little overhead. It
is what makes the search engine runnable from CD-ROM.

I haven't been following this thread too closely, or I would have
mentioned Karrigell before! It is an excellent program and I recommend
anyone looking for a web server on a CD check it out. I've added a wx
GUI to it, although one could add a Tkinter one too to shave some of
the size.

Kevin