ConfigParser lower-cases options automatically?

Matthew Wilson mwilson at
Sun Nov 23 19:42:49 CET 2003

I'm using ConfigParser to store and retreive some data across multiple
runs of my program and it looks like it automatically lower-cases my

---this is the program:

import ConfigParser
cp = ConfigParser.ConfigParser()
cp.set('info', 'Previous-IP', '')
out = open('out.txt', 'w')
out = open('out.txt')

---here is the data:

previous-ip =

I wonder if this is something intentionally built-in to ConfigParser in
order to remove case-sensitivity issues that are variable across
platforms.  Does anyone else have any comments or ideas?  I don't need
case-sensitivity in my script, but I am puzzled by this behavior.