[XPOST] [REQ] open source multimedia authoring tools? In python maybe?

email9898989 at yahoo.com email9898989 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 01:06:15 EST 2003

stefanogaburri <StefanoZAP.THIS at gaburri.net> wrote in message news:<bobusm$1bv5gd$1 at ID-24403.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> I've been asked to build a quick-and-dirty prototype of a simple
> computer-based training application. You know, those multimedia thingies
> with text, some videos, a bit of speech and quizzes at the end of the
> unit...

Your cheapest/simplest option would be to make it web-based.  Use HTML
for the text, with embedded mpeg or quicktime (not free) videos and
wav sound files.  For the quiz, use PHP scripting.  See Moodle or
Tiki, or search for PHP-based quiz engine.

If you absolutely have to have it run off a CD, there are some
non-free tools to make PHP applications run from a CD:
http://circle.ch/blog/p661.html

Otherwise, another free option would be to use java and the java media
framework to play videos.

Or, you can use python for the app/quiz tool, and to play videos just
launch the video file so that it opens in the user's movie player or
browser, but you cannot play the video inside your python app.