Leo + Python: the ultimate scripting tool: Conclusion

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 06:14:49 EST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:29:35 -0500, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:

>I will not beg you to read my bug report.  Such a request is *NOT* a
>legitimate 'anti-junk-mail' measure.

Is using that approval thing 'begging you to read...' to any greater
degree than sending the e-mail in the first place?

My impression is that the 'reason' thing could just be 'Leo support
request' or similar, for instance - enough to demonstrate that your
e-mail is legitimate but hardly a chore.

There would be a practical issue, of course, if you have access to
e-mail but not to the web. But that has nothing to do with whether you
are being asked to 'beg' or not.

Basically, I think you are overreacting to this. I don't use
ChoiceMail or anything similar, but with the huge volume of spam,
virus's and incorrect 'you sent us a virus' messages these days, I
certainly see the attraction and I can say that - while I don't use
Leo ATM - this authorisation thing certainly wouldn't worry me.

Actually, compare it with Web support request pages where you
carefully type in all the details of your problem, only to be told
"request failed - 'problem description' exceeded limit of 100
characters" or whatever.

Yes, I seriously wish one company used ChoiceMail instead of the
stupid system they are using, and ended up posting a support request
of 'please send me an e-mail address so I can describe the problem
properly'. Actually, the problem relates to interaction with another
product I'm trialing, and odds are they've already lost the sale to be
honest. The product seems very good and easily worth the money, but it
has enough fiddly aspects that I strongly suspect I'll need to fight
their support system again.

It would be nice if we could just fire-and-forget e-mails, but those
days seem to be coming to an end - the e-mail system is just too open
to abuse.

--
Steve Horne