Puffin Automation Framework (PAF) query

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 06:19:57 EST 2003

Ben McGinnes wrote:
>         I am just wondering if anyone here has managed to get Keyton
> Weissinger's Puffin Automation Framework testing application to work?

I tried it out on a testing job about a year ago. The following are
points of note

1. It is poorly documented. Many important technical details can only
be obtained by reading the source and knowing the behaviour of the
python standard library.

2. Its logging eats memory. Puffin builds an XML DOM to store all of
the results. Which means it eats memory *real* fast.

3. IIRC, It only supports HTTP 1.0, meaning that it does not represent
the actual client->server network activity you would see with real
world apps.

> In particular I'm wrestling with an issue in which a plan will either
> execute a set of actions or generate reports, but not both at the same
> time.

I would only consider using Puffin if you're requirements are very
basic, i.e.

1. You have a fixed set of URL requests that you want to automate.
2. You want to munge data in transmitted and returned resources.
3. You only need to run one of them at a time.

> I'm interested in speaking with anyone who's managed to make this thing
> fly or anyone who has a contact point for the author that he actually
> responds to.

Dunno about contacting Keyton, but feel free to ask questions. I may
be able to answer.

There are some java tools, scriptable in jython, that are much better
all round testing tools, that are more robust. Check this archive
message for details

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3F93BBA8.CCFBAFA1%40hotmail.com

regards,

--