datetime and strptime

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Nov 19 21:49:21 EST 2003

Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com> wrote in message news:<slrnbrn8vp.kli.rmunn at rmunnlfs.dyndns.org>...
> > [ adding datetime.strptime() ]

> I see that PEP targets Python 2.4. If the PEP is accepted and
> implemented, I for one would love to see the implementation back-ported
> to a 2.3.x patch release. This is something I also (briefly) considered
> doing; unfortunately, I can't see myself having any time for this in the
> foreseeable future...

Absolutely not. Patch releases are for bugfixes only, not new features.
And yes, I'm aware that adding the boolean hackage to 2.2.x broke this
rule, but that was very much the exception rather than the rule.

Based on the feedback from the recent 2.3 releases, one thing that was
appreciated by many people was that there were no new features, or changes
that could break running code. This allows people with production systems
to happily upgrade without fearing for their sanity.