Database connectivity

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Mon Nov 24 13:35:51 EST 2003

SectorUnknown wrote:
> I've written a database (Access mdb) front-end using Python/wxpython/and
> ADO. However, the scope of the project has changed and I need to access
> the same data on an MSSQL server. Also, the front-end needs to be cross-
> platform (Windows and Linux).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what database connectivity I should
> use? I've looked at mxODBC and wxODBC briefly, but am not sure what is
> the best way to go.
>
> BTW, although I would love to move away from the MSSQL server, that's
> not going to change.

mxODBC works on Windows, Linux and quite a few other platforms.
Apart from mxODBC you will need an ODBC driver that allows
you to connect to the database (whereever it is running).

On Windows this is a no-brainer since all decent databases
come with a Windows ODBC driver.

On other platforms, the commercial
ODBC driver vendors are usually the best choice, but there are
also a couple of alternatives such as the FreeTDS ODBC which allows
connecting to MS SQL running on Windows, but whether these are
suitable for your needs depends on what you plan to do with the
database -- FreeTDS is not exactly high performance, nor very
reliable. However, it is quite usable for simple queries.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 24 2003)