Newbie problem

Angelo Secchi secchi at sssup.it
Thu Nov 27 06:04:18 EST 2003

Hallo,

I have the following problem. I'm trying to clean a database whose lines
look like:

"2/G DM"        "HOE"   0       "R5D2"  1       0       0       0

in particular I need to remove the ".

Here my code

def wash(a) :
    a=string.replace(a,'"','')
    return a

data=file("prova.txt",'r')
data_clean=file("prova_clean.txt",'w')

temp_string = data.readline()
while len(temp_string) != 0:
    temp_field=string.split(temp_string,'\t')
    print temp_field
    temp_field=map(wash,temp_field)
    print temp_field
    data_clean.write(temp_field)
    temp_string = data.readline()

data.close()
data_clean.close()

Of course I receive an error in line "data_clean.write(temp_field)"
saying "TypeError: argument 1 must be string or read-only character
buffer, not list". I'm a newbie and reading tutorials around I was not
able to find the best solution to my problem. Could anybody help me?

I also read in this mailing list that there exists a specific list for
newbie (called python tutor mailing list) but I was not able to find it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Angelo