PEP 289: universal and existential operators

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at
Sat Nov 15 21:22:56 CET 2003

In article <bourho$1iqg1d$1 at>, Greg Ewing
(using wrote:
>Will Stuyvesant wrote:
>> Oh no!  Their mathematical names are "forall" and "exists" and that is
>> what they should be IMO.
>Actually, their mathematical names are an upside-down "A"
>and an upside-down "E", which are often pronounced "for
>all" and "there exists", but other pronunciations are

While we're nit-picking, I'd like to point out that the "E" isn't
upside-down -- it's mirrored (or rotated 180 degrees or whatever), so
it's horizontal edges point left. :)

As for the "forall" and "exists" -- these are the LaTeX names for
these symbols. Given that Guido has already used LaTeX as a motivation
for enumerate(), that might speak in favor of these names (even though
"all" and "any" seem better to me too...)

Magnus Lie Hetland                "In this house we obey the laws of                 thermodynamics!"    Homer Simpson