Distutils: bdist_wininst. System integration use. (--silent option?, etc.)

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 1 03:49:52 EST 2003

"Peter Schmiedeskamp" <pschmied at yahoo.com> writes:

> So, is anyone else using python for systems integration work? Would
> someone familiar with the bdist suite care to speculate on the
> difficulty/sensibility in extending the bdist package for this
> purpose?

It should certainly be possible - it is open source, so you can see
for yourself what precisely it does. It being open source, changes
occur only when volunteers contribute them, though.

> Ultimately, maybe a bdist_msi might be possible.

Yes, I've been looking into creating MSI through the installer
automation interface. Unfortunately, there is too little documentation
about *creating* databases - much of the documentation deals with the
setup process itself. For example, my current questions are:

- how do I get a package initialized with the default schema? In
  particular, how do I get the _Validation table filled?

- how do can I add the file content to the database (I know how I can
  put things into the Files table).

Regards,
Martin