pros and cons of Tkinter in comparison with other GUI toolboxes, please?

Cameron Laird claird at
Tue Nov 18 23:06:29 CET 2003

In article <mailman.853.1069187603.702.python-list at>,
John Benson <jsbenson at> wrote:
>Hi, I'm seeing a lot of discussion about different GUIs. I understand
>that there are reasons you might want to integrate more closely with
>KDE, or Gnome, or Win32, but for standalone applications, I assume that
>plain, old Tkinter is fine. Any comments?
Plain, old Tkinter is indeed fine enough to be the basis
for quite a few interesting and useful applications,
including the IDLE which is part of the standard distri-

Cameron Laird <claird at>