[newbie] GTK+/QT/Tkinter ?

Tim Ronning tim.ronning at start.no
Fri Nov 7 14:40:35 EST 2003

På Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:51:11 +0100, skrev Alexandre Rogers <alex at this-is-
not-a-real-email-address.com>:

> Hi everyone !
>
> I am beginner in Python, and it is, so far, the best programming language
> I've seen (apart, perhaps, from Java, but the official release is not
> open source, so it is a bit difficult for redistribution).
>
> I'm working on a (personal) project and I need a GUI, which needs to be
> portable (I run a Linux system and I'd like my program to run on Windows,
> at least).
>
> I first thought of Qt with Eric and Qt designer, but it is not portable
> (for free).
> Then GTK. Looks great (with Glade) but is it really portable or not ?
>
> I know a bit about Tkinter, which I like although it is not the most
> attractive.
> Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?
>

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Alex

Hi there

One alternative you could try is FLTK with the pyfltk wrapper. It's
multiplatform, pure GPL GUI toolkit. FLTK comes with "Fluid" a really nice
and easy gui builder. The output of Fluid can be converted to python via
flconvert which is a tool for pyfltk.
	I'm trying FLTK out now, and beeing a beginner like you, I find it quite
easy to work with.
You could still use Eric, it's a great code editor. It has some bugs
though, but thats another story.

FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
pyfltk: http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/index.html

Best regards