rotor alternative?

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Wed Nov 19 07:33:07 EST 2003

You can try pycrypto if you want. What OS do you use?
Unfortunately, I could not find an installer for Windows, but
I created my own - mail me if you want it. Installing on BSD
and Linux is quite easy.

With the pycrypto library, you can use several famous block
ciphers like AES, BlowFish etc. - these are for private key
encryption. It can do public key cryptography (RSA) and
digital signatures (RSA & DSA) too. However, this lib is
NOT SSL compatible. It has a documentation but you can
find examples on the net too. This may or may not be the
library you need. It depends on your needs. There are many
others:

ezPyCrypto, yawPyCrypto, PyOpenSSL

- please look for them on google, they are easy to find.

I choose PyCrypto because it can be compiled almost anywhere
and it is easy to use. But for example, PyOpenSSL can give you
full control over the OpenSSL library. However, you must be
familiar with OpenSSL to use it.

Well, none of those libraries are part of Python 2.3. I think this is
partly because it would not allow Python to be used in some
countries. (These can do strong encryption.) Conclusion: there
is no obvious replacement for you.

Cheers,

Laci 1.0