Frustration with Boa Constructor

Kylotan kylotan at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 23:57:57 EST 2003

Bob Gailer <bgailer at alum.rpi.edu> wrote in message news:<mailman.980.1069457865.702.python-list at python.org>...
> This is the 3rd time I've downloaded, installed and tried Boa. Each time I
> meet with one frustration or another. This time I'm trying to go thru the
> Getting Started, and find numerous places that the tutorial does not agree
> with the reality or I try something and it does not work.

I too found that the tutorial was inaccurate (perhaps just out of
date), but I was able to guess what to do instead. Do you have any
specific examples of problems that maybe myself or others could help
with?

> Has anyone had success with Boa Constructor? If so how did you learn it?
> The tutorial clearly is not the way I can learn it.

To be honest with you I gave up on Boa, the main reason being that it
doesn't support wxSizers, which are useful - and with which the visual
designer becomes less important anyway. But I can sympathise with your
frustration. I think that one downside of Python having such great
centralised documentation is that the other projects seem to be very
poorly documented by comparison! Tutorials tend to be out of date, and
a lot of the help I can find on various subjects seems to stop at
'hello world' and then jump directly to the tricks of the trade.

I am attempting to learn how to use wxPython from their mailing list,
from the demos that come with the package, and from the Wiki
(http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/FrontPage). However, expect to
have to do a lot of cross-referencing, as I couldn't find anything
that could stand alone as a comprehensive guide.

--
Ben Sizer