running a script like a daemon

Kathy Poniatowski stillcreek at
Sun Nov 9 15:09:26 CET 2003

In most flavors of Unix, you can append the '&' character to the command,
which causes it to execute as a background process, and prepend 'nohup' to
it, which I think makes it continue even if you log off.  I'm not a Unix
expert, so my explanation may  be flawed, but this is what works for me:
nohup command &

news:3fad23ea$0$235$636a55ce at