Shelve operations are very slow and create huge files

Eric Wichterich eric.wichterich at gmx.de
Sun Nov 2 12:28:35 EST 2003

Hello Tim,

thank you for your thoughts. I tried to use cPickle and gzip instead of
shelve. But it ran much slower than before.
So I used the profiler to check where the most time is needed.
To read the data and convert it back to a dictionary needed around 9
seconds with shelve.
With cPickle, it even needed 11 seconds.
With gzip & cPickle, it also needed 11 seconds (the file was now around
250 kB instead of 1,7 MB).
Using pickle instead of cPickle, it needed over 45 seconds.
It seems that the file size doesn't matter at all. But 9 seconds just
for converting data from a pickle back to a Python dictionary???

Thanks also for mentioning DMTools. Do you know whether it is useful
for (fast) convertion from a pickle (or some file stored on the server)
into a Python dictionary? I didn't find much real-life examples or
further descriptions of these tools.

Greetings,
Eric