Selling Python Software

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Nov 3 11:21:37 CET 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Will Stuyvesant wrote:
>
>> I tried py2exe before, but someone told me it is always possible to
>> decompile...revealing the source code.
>
> It's always possible to decompile programs compiled to machine code, as
> well, you know.  Ultimately, every software developer must defend
> himself with licenses and legal means, not technical ones.

...unless said SW developer keeps the extremely precious parts of his
SW safely on a network server under his control (yes, it IS possible
to technically secure that -- start with an OpenBSD install...:-) and
only distributes the run-of-the-mill "client-oid" parts he doesn't
particularly mind about.  The server-side SW can supply the precious
parts of the overall program's functionality to the client-side SW
via secure webservices or proprietary protocols; this also allows you
to enforce different business models (subscription, pay-per-use, ...)
more easily than distributing things does.

Very little software is WORTH protecting so closely, but for that
1 in 1000, or whatever, this option IS, IMHO, worth considering.

Alex