2.2.2 Annoyance

Miklós nospam at nowhere.hu
Mon Nov 24 14:33:30 EST 2003

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote in message
news:m37k1pzkjw.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk...
> "Miklós" <nospam at nowhere.hu> writes:
>
> > """
> > __getitem__(self, key)
> > Called to implement evaluation of self[key]. For sequence types, the
> > accepted keys should be integers and slice objects.  Note that the
special
> > interpretation of
> > """
>
> I think this is talking about implementing __getitem__, not calling it
> directly.  Historically these things have been quite different, though
> they are becoming less so.

Well, I've never been really into the guts of Python ... but could you shed
some light for me on that why these two things are different?
What I experienced was this "feature" broke my code (actually it was in a
3rd party code library) and it took a while for me to recognize the
documentation was wrong
(or whatever, depending on your explanation..) and slice objects shouldn't
be passed to __getitem__ that way in Python 2.2
(and that this works for Python 2.3)

> 2.2.3 will not make any difference on this point.

Well, then my patches will stay and slow down things a bit.

Cheers,
 Miklós