Status of JPE (Java-Python Extension)?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 06:00:45 EST 2003

[Irmen de Jong]
> Jython has had (or still has) some problems that makes full
> Pyro support impossible. For instance there is no "select"
> like function in Jython (or rather, Java), and Pyro depends
> on that for Pyro servers. So you're restricted to *clients*
> in Jython: you can only call other Pyro objects, but you cannot
> be called yourself.

Irmen,

As you noted yourself at the bottom of your message, Java 1.4 supports
non-blocking IO and select calls.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/nio/index.html

If you need some assistance with getting Pyro running server side in
Jython (java 1.4 only), get in touch with me.

> Furthermore there were some bugs in Jython's implementation
> that were triggered by certain Python code fragments in
> Pyro, and I haven't really tried to work around them.
> Dunno what Jython's up to at the moment, so YMMV.

Jython 2.1 is exceedingly stable, and extremely useful. There is a
comment on the jython.org page to the effect that "2.1 has become our
1.5.2".

If you have any specific problems getting stuff running with jython,
try me: I might be able to help.

regards,

--
alan kennedy